Sunday, December 28, 2008

there's a light on in Denver.

One of the last conversations I had with my grandfather was about the book In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. It's about the murder of the entire Clutter family in 1959 in the small town of Holcomb, Kansas. We were reading it in English, and I was really enjoying it. My grandpa grew up in Kansas, and was about 20 years old at the time of the murders. He had moved out and joined the Air Force and was serving in Korea at the time. But I asked him if he remembered it, and he said yes, he did. This was just a few days before he died. He was sick and couldn't talk much, but I could tell he was interested, and even proud that he was around when it happened. It was sweet.

I drove to visit Grandpa's grave today, and I remembered this. The cemetery he's buried in, Ft. Logan, is on Kenyon Ave. In the book In Cold Blood, Kenyon Clutter was the second to be murdered, after his father. Kenyon was 15 at the time of his death, the same age I was (and still am) when my grandpa died. I think it's interesting, an omen even.

Here's more about the book. It's very good, I enjoyed it a lot.