Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Fabric.

The fabric is blue. Not a sky blue, but the blue of the storm hovering in the distance on a hot summer afternoon. It is embroidered with an intricate pattern, white thread moving in and out, fast. It looks soft, satin-y -- I lean forward, trying to grip a handful of the fabric with my tiny fist. I want to touch it, run my fingers over the tiny bumps of thread.
I lean too far and topple over. I fall, sprawled spread-eagle into the billowy folds. Its rougher than I had imagined from up above it. Its thick and coarse, and it blocks out any sunlight that tries to get through. I tumble deeper, too stunned and fascinated to try to untangle myself and fight my way out. The sky above me is just a little deep green patch that grows smaller and smaller as we become more separate.
Then the patch disappears and everything goes black.

--

Last night, I was looking at my bedspread and examining it's robin's egg blue color and the tiny swirls of white thread that twist around it. I wanted to write something about the color of my bedspread. It's a pretty, relaxing color.
Today, when I was writing this I did what I often do when trying to write about a physical thing -- I change it. I made the color of my bedspread darker and I put a more pessimistic tone to it. At Writing Club, someone read a story where the person is venturing through a forest and she eventually drowns, but you don't get that she drowns until the story is finished, then it's like a "woah" kind of moment. I've always wanted to try it myself...I don't know if it's obvious that the narrator, whom I wrote as a curious little boy, drowned. It's not supposed to be.
I like this a lot, actually. I'm not sure if it's too short and to the point, but I also don't want to make it longer, because you can read about falling through the ocean only for so long before it gets boring.

The other day, I created a new blog for my writing only. I call it Puck's Portfolio, after the mischievous little fairy in A Midsummer Night's Dream. I'm still posting all that I've written here, but this is another one for my poetry and stories only. Puck's Portfolio