Friday, January 9, 2009

martyrdom and cigarettes.

The smell of cigarettes cling to your jacket and relax my tense muscles. You tighten your arms around me as if you don't want to let go as I take in your Marlboro cologne. You linger in my embrace longer than any attached man who wants to keep his ass should, but it doesn't matter to us.
I am not her. I am not the girl whose hand you grab as you run, exploding with quieted laughter from the cops. I am not the girl you cut class for every day. I am your kid sister who is neither a kid nor a sister. I am the friend who is always there with open arms and an open heart, ready to dry your eyes with my hair if needed.
The strange thing is, I am alright with that. I am alright with being the girl in the stands as you two throw your caps in the air, ready to embark on a new journey together. I am alright with finishing my high school education alone while you are hooking up and settling down. As long as I can see your honey smile and jubilant eyes as you rave about how happy she makes you, I am alright.

When you are playing your guitar late at night and singing about the girl who takes your breath away, I hope you mean every word.