Friday, April 10, 2009

"Did you know I fell in love with you under those leaves?"

It's a warm afternoon, the sun is still high in the sky even though it is nearing towards evening, casting a buttery warmth over the ground and the leaves. We jump into the pile like children, scattering all of our hard work. The leaves crunch under our weight but produce a soft and comfortable mattress, despite the stems and tips poking us through our jackets. Our faces are warm and flushed from the exercise, hands rough and filled with splinters from the wooden handle of the rake. You throw a handful of leaves at me, they get stuck in my hair and you have to help me untangle it. Our hands touch. Lips brush. An autumn afternoon, long ago, after you came and before you went.

"Did you know I fell in love with you under those leaves?"

Photobucket