Friday, April 3, 2009

bookstore.

Between the bookshelves, I stand in awe. Billions of words tucked quietly between covers of cardstock and cardboard press down on my heart. My blood runs warm through my veins, an adrenaline rush, filling me with a vitality brought about only by books. I flip through the pages of these books and take in the stories of people throughout history who may or may not have existed. These are stories of passionate lovers, admirable heroes, and greedy men. The tales differ in plot and style, from poetry to prose, but they all are similar in one way. They all reach out and grab me, tying me to them with a golden thread. A thread that appears to be thin and worthless but is unable to be broken. Brute force could not tear me away from the wonders that books behold. I am entranced, body and soul, by the simple words that fit together to create such a beautiful thing.

--
A little ditty I wrote at Barnes & Noble today, as I was emptying my wallet buying books.