Wednesday, April 1, 2009

as yet to be titled.

So let's drink tonight
A toast to being alone
Because nothing hurts more
Thank your voice on the radio
The black and grey static
That fills up the screen
Is my welcome solace
A barrier in between
Life is a set of train tracks
Separating east from west
Board the train before it goes
It's always for the best.

--
I've been trying to write one final poem inspired by/about John. Just to kind of wrap it all up and provide closure. Even though I've been over him, there just was no closure and I think this poem provides it. If you wouldn't tell, I was listening to Jack's Mannequin and moaning over how I could never write like Andrew McMahon and had given up trying to write something. Then I turned off my music and my lights to go to bed and bam! the first two lines of this entered my head and I just had to put it down on paper, and the rest followed. I think it's pretty obvious it was inspired by Jack's Mannequin but I tried not to make it TOO much like what Andrew would write, because although he's brilliant and I pale in comparison, I still want me to shine through. I really hope I was able to because I really like this.